Monday, August 22, 2011

In Which My Eldest is Adorable in an Entirely Creative Way



If it hasn't been clear to those that know me already, I've always wanted to write professionally (in one form or another).  As my school career has been winding down I've been flexing my writing muscles more lately.  I'm finding the process more personally rewarding than ever.  (Here's to hoping it can be as financially rewarding someday too.)  

As part of my increased activity I've been writing weekly(ish) installments of a story for my two oldest boys in which slighty exaggerated versions of themselves partake in perilous and hilarious adventures.  This was never intended for anyone but them and I'm using it as much to entertain them as I am practicing my craft.  It's a great exercise that's fun to do and with almost immediate gratification from the boys. (What kids wouldn't love to read adventure stories starring themselves?)

Last week when I hadn't been able to write my weekly installment in time, Ian took it upon himself to write a story to share with us.  His characters of choice though were not his family but his current ardent obsession, Calvin and Hobbbes.  (He spends hours reading and rereading the various collections we've acquired.)  What's great about Ian is that when he gets really interested in something he can focus on it with the kind of intensity rarely seen in most eight-year-olds.  This story was no exception.  I showed him how to bring up MS Word and off he went.  Three days later, after spending every available moment he had working on his story, this is what he came up with (video follows as well):

 (Note: The only changes I made was to space things out so it wasn't a gigantic lump of text.)

Calvin and Hobbes
Let   me  introduce  you  to  Calvin  and  Hobbes  Calvin  is  spikey  haired, age  6  and  has  a  big  imageanation.  Hobbes  on  the  other  hand  slim,imagenary,no  one  knows  his  age  and  he’s  Calvins  friend.This  is  their  life.  One  day  dot  dot  dot  Calvin[This  is  saterday]Came  bumping  down  the  stairs  yelling  its  saterday![Note:he  does  this  every  saterday]  When  his  parents  herd   him  his  dad  said  to  mom  go  and  break  his  little  legs.  Calvin  got  down  rotted  his  inards  with  chocolate  cereal  and  rotted  his  brain  waching  cartoons.

Finaly  Calvin  manged  to  get  upstairs  get  his  clothing  on  and  go  outside  finnialy  the  house  was  quiet  at  least  for  a  while.Meanwhile  outside   Calvin  was  digging  in  his  yard  like  always  is.  This  time  he  wasn’t  digging  for  dinosoar  bones  which  he  usually  does  that.  Even  I  don’t  know  why  hes  digging  this  time.Well  lets  see  what  he  says.  What  are  you  doing  to  are  yard!  Yelled  mom  furiously.  Makeing  speed  bumps. Said  Calvin.  Then  he  went  inside.   Hobbes  was  their  waiting  for  him.  

Hobbes?asked  Calvin  in  a  stammerd  voice.

YYYYYYAAAAAAHHHHHH! Yelled  Hobbes  AUGH  TIGER  ATACK! Scremed  Calvin  in  a  very  screamy  voice.

Would  the  two  of  you  keep  it  down!Yelled  mom.  It  was  Hobbes  mom  I  fighting  for  my  very  surviveal.Said  Calvin.

Sure  Calvin  I  don’t  want  to  sew  Hobbes  up  again  why  don’t  you  two  go  do  something  quiet.  Said  mom.

  Okay  okay.Mumbled  Calvin  as  he  walked  away. You  sissy  mom  always  takes  your  side.  Said  Calvin  to  Hobbes.

Thats  because  she  wanted  another  tiger  not  you.Said  Hobbes. Well  it  looks  like  our  friend  Calvin  went  outside  again. This  time  he’s  takeing  Hobbes  with  him  so  when  he   comes  back  in  he  will  not  be  pounced  on.  Ok  I  was  kidding  about  that  one.  It’s  actually  his  bedtime. 

Time  for  bed  Calvin.Said  mom.

NO  MOM  NO  DON’T  PUT  ME  TO  BED. I  INSTRUCTED  HOBBES  TO  MESSILY  DEVOR  ANYONE  WHO  PUTS  ME  IN  BED  BEFORE  9’PM.Yelled  Calvin.

Your  stuffed  tiger  is  in  the  washing  machine.Said  mom.

Fine  time  to  take  a  bath.Mumbled  Calvin.

Listen  just  because  you  never  take  one.Said  Hobbes.Well  I  guess  its  the  end. 









Yes, he borrowed from the comic A LOT and maybe this is just my daddy blinders but I was quite impressed with his effort.  He now plans a sequel.


                                                                                                                      

1 comment: