Wednesday, October 5, 2011

How Audiobooks Saved My Bacon er, Sanity

Due to those pesky character traits I've developed over the years such as, responsibility, ambition, and self-esteem, I find myself doing otherwise distasteful tasks in order to provide for my family, improve my career, and feel good about myself as a person.  On such task is commuting. You see, I drive quite a bit between work, school, and home.  I easily put 30000-40000 miles on my car in the last year.  That's a lot of time spent just driving and it seems a crime to waste it. 

What to do; what to do? Commercial radio is a wasteland of corporate managed mediocrity.  NPR is hit or miss and always seems to have Diane Rehm on (Ugh). Listening to music helps but I need more stimulation.  This is where the beauty of modern technology comes in.  The resurgence of the audiobook format and the advent of podcasts are truly a godsend for someone like me.  If I may be so bold as to express my strong opinion, here are some recommendations:

AUDIOBOOKS
The Dresden Files Series- All but the most recent have been narrated by James Marsters (you may know him as Spike from the Buffy.) He does a brilliant job with characters and narration and really bring the humor and action alive.  I was forced to actually read the most recent one when I found out he was unable to narrate due to scheduling conflicts.

Harry Potter Series - Jim Dale narrates the American version of the books and is just a brilliant as James Marsters.

John Adams, The Greater Journey (both by David McCullough), and Einstein: His Life and Universe (by Walter Isaacson) - What these all have in common is that they're engaging, biographies/histories of interesting people and times and all are narrated by Edward Herrmann (you may recognize him as Rory's grandpa from The Gilmore Girls).  Hermann has a lovely musical baritone and gives a lively and thoughtful reading to all these books.  He is hands down one of the best audiobook readers of non-fiction.  He could read the phone book to me and I'd sit through all 100 discs.

To Kill a Mocking Bird - I finally got around to this book after years of being told how great it is.  I was not dissapointed. The version I listened to was narrated by Roses Prichard and boy did she get the accent and voice of Scout pitch perfect.  I admit to choking up at several points in this book which is perfectly ok when quietly ensconced in my Camry with no one around to look at me sideways. My perceived manliness is still firmly intact.

PODCASTS
This Week in Tech - Leo Laporte and Friends - This is where I get my weekly dose of tech news and analysis.  I've been a fan of Leo since he was at the now defunct TechTV as a co-host on The Screen Savers.

Radio From Hell
- It was described once by TV Critic Bill Frost as "A morning radio show for people who hate morning radio shows."  This is apt.  The hosts Bill Allred, Carey Jackson, and Gina Barberi  manage to put out a very smart, very funny, very liberal, top rated radio show in Salt Lake City, Utah of all places.  They do it without idiotic skits, music, or a stuntboy.  It is sometimes very local but not inordinately so that someone who's never lived there wouldn't get it.

Writing Excuses - Brandon Sanderson, Dan Wells, Howard Tayler, and Mary Robinette Kowal.  A weekly podcast from four working writers in the Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Horror genres and full of great advice for aspiring writers.  A great one if you have any writing aspiration.

The Tobolowsky Files - Actor Steven Tobolowsky (You may know him as Ned Ryerson from Groundhog's Day or from hundreds of other movies and TV shows.) discusses his life experiences and a long career in the entertainment industry.  He filters it all through the lens of what he's learned and how he's grown from all the bad and good experiences in his life.  This could easily come across as self indulgent but he is a natural and engaging racconteur and his observations are warm, humorous, and often very profound.

No comments:

Post a Comment